State University of New York at New Paltz, New Paltz, New York
Masters of Fine Art (MFA), Sculpture, 2012
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York
Bachelors of Fine Arts (BFA), Studio Art, High Honors, 2009
Deans List: 2005-2009
Dutchess Community College, Poughkeepsie, NY August 2013-Present
- Adjunct Professor, 3D Design: Instructor, 3 credit course, Foundations Three Dimensional Design. Topics covered include: fundamentals and elements of design, form, space, line, texture, color, time, etc.)
- Adjunct Professor, Art Seminar: Instructor, 1 credit course, Introductory course covering research skills, writing, documenting and presenting art work, and building good practices for visual artists.
Dutchess Community College, Poughkeepsie, NY November 2014-Present
- Gallery and Studio Technician: Maintain on campus gallery and display spaces, install artwork for a wide range of shows, maintain studio spaces and promote a safe working environment, track inventory of materials and supplies, ensure safe storage and disposal of materials, liaison and department representative for the Chemical Hygiene Committee.
State University of New York at New Paltz, New Paltz, NY
- Professor of Record, Fine Art Foundations (January 2011 - May 2011); Instructor, 3 credit course, Introduction to Drawing and Design. Designed course syllabus (basic drawing, painting, color theory, 2D and 3D design, critical thinking, self-critique, group critique). Facilitated student discussions at weekly Art Seminar Lecture series and graded related papers.
- Adjunct Professor, Sculpture (August 2010 - December 2010); Instructor, 3 credit course, Basic Sculpture. Designed class syllabus (wood and steel fabrication, casting and mold-making). Responsible for maintaining safe studio environment.
- Graduate Assistant, Metals (May 2011- August 2011); Assistant to Metals Studio Technician: maintained clean and safe working environment, built and repaired storage for studio tools and materials, maintained current inventory of studio tools and materials.
- Graduate Assistant, Sculpture (January 2010 - August 2010); Assistant to Sculpture Studio Technician: cleaned and maintained shop machinery, organized studio tools and materials, monitored student use of Sculpture Studio and assisted in the completion of projects and assignments.
- Graduate Assistant, Wood (September 2009 - May 2010); Assistant to Wood Studio Technician: cleaned and maintained of shop machinery, monitored student use of Wood Studio and assisted them in the completion of projects and assignments.
Michael’s Arts and Crafts, Poughkeepsie, NY June 2011 - January 2013
- Painting Instructor: Acrylic Painting, beginner/intermediate.
Keropian LLC, Carmel, NY October 2012 - December 2013
- Studio Assistant Wax working, filling, sanding, chasing, mold making, and finishing work for sculptor Michael Keropian
Camp Young Judaea Sprout Lake, Verbank, New York June 2005 - August 2010
- Art Director (June 2009 - August 2010); Director of arts for an 8 week summer program serving 500 children grades 2-8. Ordered supplies and maintained inventory. Implemented new program in printmaking. Supervised and trained a staff of art specialists. Consulted with Performing Arts Director to design and create theatrical sets, props and costumes.
- Assistant Art Director (June 2008 - August 2008); Drawing, painting, beading, jewelry, wearable art, candle-making, ceramics, fiber arts. Served as liaison between Arts Director, unit heads, and directors of other specialty areas. Supervised the creation and upkeep of camp-wide art projects including murals, mosaics, and functional outdoor sculptures.
- Director of Ceramics (June 2005 - August 2007); Developed comprehensive ceramics curriculum to include hand-building and wheel-throwing techniques. Instrumental in securing the purchase of new equipment and raised program standards.
- Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Welding, Metalworking, Foundry, Casting, Mold Making, Wood Working, Ceramics, New Media/Digital Art, Sculpture, Interactive Art
Technology and Software
- Photoshop, Illustrator, Rhinoceros 4.0 (3D modeling software), Boe-Bot and Arduino Micro-controllers (basic robotics prototyping platforms), Physical Computing (interactive technology utilizing data collected by a variety of sensors), Power Point/ Keynote, Isadora (real-time manipulation of digital media), Final Cut Pro, Inspiration (Visual Mapping, Outlining, and Writing Software)
Art Centro, Artist Community, Poughkeepsie, NY
Arts Mid-Hudson, Poughkeepsie, NY
Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
Squid Wrench, Hacker/Maker Community Organization, Poughkeepsie, NY
2015 New Directions '15, Barrett Art Center's 24th Annual National Juried Contemporary Art Exhibition, Poughkeepsie, NY (Awarded Honorable Mention)
2015 Faculty Show, Dutchess Community College, Poughkeepsie, NY
2014 Touched, Exhibitor at Hudson Valley Mini Maker Faire, Poughkeepsie, NY
2014 Burn Quilts, Howland Public Library, Beacon, NY
2014 Art Between the Pages, Adriance Memorial Library, Poughkeepsie, NY
2014 New Works by Rebecca Strauss, Art Centro, Poughkeepsie, NY
2013 Textures, Mid Hudson Heritage Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
2012 Touched Exhibitor at World Maker Faire NYC, New York, NY
2012 6th Borough, Poughkeepsie, NY
2012 Vestibule/ Bertha’s Funeral, Poughkeepsie, NY
2012 Morphogenesis/ Rituals in Opposition of Loss: New Works by Kirsten Olson and Rebecca Strauss, BAU Gallery, Beacon, NY
2011 Touched: MFA Thesis Exhibition, Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, SUNY New Paltz, New Paltz, NY
2011 Appetite, Unisom Gallery, New Paltz, NY
2011 Genetics of Seeds, Unframed Artist Gallery, New Paltz, NY
2010 Collectively Independent, Wall Space, Kingston, NY
2010 Raw and Unleashed, SUNY New Paltz, New Paltz, New York
2010 Convergences in Photo Silkscreen, SUNY New Paltz, New Paltz, New York
2009 Rochester Institute of Technology Annual Honors Show, Henrietta, NY
2009 BFA Senior Thesis Show, Gallery r, Rochester, NY
2009 “r” Connections, Regional Juried Exhibition, Gallery r, Rochester, NY
2008 Black & White, Juried Exhibition, Gallery r, Rochester, NY
2008 2nd Annual Printmaking Council of New Jersey's Print Auction, Somerville, NJ
2008 New Directions '08, Barrett Art Center's 24th Annual National Juried Contemporary Art Exhibition, Poughkeepsie, NY
2008 The Best of Barrett Summer Show, Poughkeepsie, NY
2008 Rochester Institute of Technology Annual Honors Show, Henrietta, NY
- Highlights of Maker Faire New York, by Becky Stern, evilmadscientist.com, 10/10/12
- Whatever a phobia of fingers is called, this is it. hackaday.com 10/2/12
- Maker Faire Roundup, crummy.com, 10/2/12
- Interactive Creature, Interview by Mark Frauenfelder of Make Magazine, 9/30/12
- Featured Artist, SovereignNation.org, 5/25/12
- Art Review: “r” Connection, Rochester City Newspaper, 1/21/09